This is one simple, no fuss, nothing fancy, little “recipe” to put your apples to good use, whatever variety you have on hand. It’s one of those go-to-snacks that can satisfy that sweet-tooth craving but with no added sugar….NONE! The apples will release the necessary moisture on their own and create their own sweet cinnamon & clove condensed juice! They keep their full flavor that way and there is no need to add that sugar–simple, really!
Depending on what type(s) of apple you choose, feel free to mix them up, you can make it more or less chunky. Just refer to this chart if you need help deciding or just experiment!
This “Simply Cinnamon Apples” recipe is wonderful in my Apple Cinnamon Smoothie, Apple Almond Cobbler and Apple Honey Panini or on top of my Whole White Wheat Pancakes, Simply Oatmeal, Simply Porridge, plain Greek yogurt or even…just plain! So you can bet I have them in my fridge ready to go at all times!
I show you how to make both this sweet snack and a savory snack in my own kitchen, here!
- 2 apples, rinsed, with skin on
- 2½ Tbsp water
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 2 cloves
- Cut the apples with an apple corer/divider.
- Place the sliced apples, water and cloves in a medium sauce pan (just big enough so that the apples are "snuggled" together to keep their moisture)
- Sprinkle with cinnamon and simmer covered, for 12-15 minutes. Do NOT stir!
- Turn off the heat, keep covered and forget about them until ready to eat!