You know those cold mornings when you get up and just crave a warm, creamy, yummy-in-the-tummy, feel-good breakfast to get you started for the day? Well, if you know what I mean, then this is the porridge for you! Oh MY GOODNESS, so satisfying and comforting! I like to add a sliced ripe banana and/or raisins to sweeten it, but any fresh fruit will do. It’s nothing to make on a busy morning; the only thing to take into account is the 15 minutes to simmer, but really– that’s it! I put mine on at 7:00 am and by 7:18, it has cooled off enough for Gabe to enjoy on his way out the door!
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup almond milk unsweetened
- 1/3 cup steel cut oats
- sprinkle of cinnamon
- sliced fresh fruit or raisins to taste
- Put water and almond milk in a small saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Pour the steel cut oats in the boiling liquid in the sauce pan, stir once and reduce the heat to a simmer and continue to cook uncovered for 15 minutes (that's important so that the almond milk doesn't boil over!).
- Do not stir after that--Just let it do its thing until your timer goes off!
- Turn off the stove. The porridge will still be a little "thin" at this point-that's intentional--it will thicken to a perfect creaminess by the time you transfer it to a bowl and it has had a chance to cool down a little (2 minutes!).
- Pour the porridge into a bowl, add the cinnamon and whatever sliced fruit you'd like and stir to cool.
Cathy Lathrop says
I enjoy having this steel cut oatmeal most mornings. I cook up a large batch on Monday morning and out the extra in pyrex bowls to heat up later in the week. We also enjoy putting craisons and/or waluts on top to mix up the flavor a little. Great way to sratrt the day!
Catherine Katz says
Cathy, that’s great! 🙂
I have been making this porridge every weekday for my breakfast since the first time I tried it. It’s so easy, delicious and filling. I let it simmer while I put on my makeup and then I enjoy a delicious hot, filling nutritious breakfast
Catherine Katz says
Laura, I LOVE LOVE LOVE that comment! Perfect timing with the make-up, I know exactly what you mean! Thank you for your lovely comment, as always!