A génoise is a French sponge cake, typically made with egg yolks, butter, sugar and white flour. It is a basic building block of a lot of French pastries and, just like a sponge cake, it is just perfect for a layered birthday cake! I made my génoise vegan so you’ll find no eggs milk or butter in this batter. I also upgraded it the Cuisinicity way (but of course) with a mix of wholegrain flour and almond meal to add fiber, some coconut flour to add richness and some semolina flour to give it that beautiful yellow cake look, typical of a birthday cake. I love to make a double batch, with a layer of a rich vegan chocolate ganache that is as creamy and delicious as it is unbelievably healthy! I simply use the recipe for my petits pots de Crème au Chocolat (Click here for recipe), but leave it unbaked–It’s just perfect! (Here is the recipe for the dark chocolate drizzle for the final touch on top).
If you bake it in a loaf pan, you can also just enjoy this génoise plain, more like a “pound cake” and serve it with fresh berries-YUM! (I took a photo for you at the bottom of this page).
Vegan Pound Cake
- Dry Ingredients:
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 3/4 cup semolina flour
- 1/4 cup almond flour
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 1 1/2 Tsp baking soda
- "Wet" Ingredients:
- 2/3 cup firm silken tofu drained
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 tsp rhum or pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cup soy milk*+ 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup organic expeller pressed canola oil
- Ganache for a double batch: Use about 1 cup crème au chocolat see recipe
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Grease and flour a 9" spring form baking pan.
- Stir the soy milk with the apple cider vinegar and place it aside for a few minutes (it will curdle, that's OK!)
- Place tofu, sugar and rhum in the bowl of an electric mixer and beat for a few seconds--it will still be lumpy, but that's OK at this point, not to worry!
- Add the curdled soy milk and canola oil and beat again, briefly.
- Sift all the dry ingredients and add to the bowl and beat again on medium speed for 2 minutes until very smooth and creamy (see the little video clip below)
- Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake in preheated oven until golden and toothpick comes out clean in the center (about 35-40 minutes).
- Let it cool.
- Unmold by unfastening the springform pan first, and take it out of the way, then place your serving platter over the top of the cake and turn over.
Make a double batch of the recipe above to make 2 layers of génoise. Spread the ganache on top of the first layer (on flat side of genoise), then place the second layer of the génoise with its flat side on the bottom. Spread the rest of the ganache all over the génoise and let it set for at least 15 minutes before serving. You can drizzle a little melted dark chocolate on top.