A simple down-to-earth dish with a rich Tuscan flavor. The white wine, fresh tomatoes, baby spinach (you can also use kale, escarole or arugula) and cannellini beans are just delightful with shrimp served over polenta: Que c’est bon! It’s so quick to make, you’ll want to wait until just 20 minutes before dinner to throw it together, so that the shrimp is just perfectly cooked, not too much, just right! You’ll see what I mean when you make it! It really comes together so beautifully-WOW!
P.S. Watch my cooking class video on how to make this recipe!
Tuscan Shrimp with Beans over Polenta
- 1 lb. raw shrimp defrosted, peeled and rinsed
- 3 Tbsp organic extra virgin olive oil
- 2 pints cherry tomatoes rinsed
- 4 garlic cloves peeled and sliced in half
- 3/4 cup white wine
- 1 bag fresh baby spinach rinsed
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 15 oz can cannellini beans
- Fresh thyme to taste
- 2/3 cup corn grits/polenta dry
- 2 2/3 cups water
- 1/4 tsp coarse salt
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet and sautée the sliced garlic until fragrant (1 minute).
- Add the cherry tomatoes (whole), turmeric, salt and bay leaves and continue to cook on medium heat for a few minutes, until the tomatoes start to soften.
- Add the shrimp and stir to crush down the tomatoes and have them coat the shrimp, and continue to cook for an additional 5 minutes, uncovered.
- Add the wine, then drained beans & spinach, and stir to combine all the ingredients.
- Continue to cook for 10 minutes so that the spinach becomes completely wilted.
- Cover and simmer for an additional 2-3 minutes.
- Sprinkle with fresh thyme and serve over polenta.
- Bring water to a boil
- Pour the polenta slowly in the boiling water while stirring constantly, using a long-handle wooden spoon so you don't get burned.
- Continue to cook for 4 minutes until thick --it will pop and "spit" at you, that's how you'll know it's time to turn off the stove!
- Stir in salt and serve.