Let me begin by saying this: AMAZING! Why? …Because although this chocolate pudding tastes luscious and creamy enough to be an elegant dessert, I actually created it as a quick-no-cook-just mix-in-your-blender after-school power snack for the kids! I use organic silken soft tofu as my base, and even add pureed black lentils and plain unsweetened soy milk to the mixture so that it is filled with plant-based protein. I sweeten it with dates (you don’t taste them!) and bittersweet chocolate–that’s it–no other added sugar! This vegan gem is absolutely delightful and kids have no idea, whatsoever, that it is good for them. Do not be put off by the initial “gloopy-curdled” look of the tofu, that will completely disappear with the thorough beating–I promise–you won’t even know it’s there!! So, make a batch and divide it up in little tupperware containers for the week to put in their lunch box. The kids will LOVE it and, of course it will LOVE them back!
P.S. Watch my cooking class video on how to make my Silky Chocolate Pudding!
- ⅓ cup plain soy milk (unsweetened)
- 5 pitted dates, coarsely chopped (no added sugar)
- 12 oz organic Silken tofu (soft)- not drained
- 2 Tbsp cooked black beluga lentils*
- 1½ cup bittersweet chocolate chips (60% cocoa)
- Place the chocolate chips in a small microwavable measuring cup and heat in microwave on high for 1-2 minutes max, to melt; stir well until smooth and proceed.
- Place all the ingredients in the order above in a blender (soy milk first, then dates...that's important so the dates are completely ground this way!) and process for 2-3 minutes until smooth.Note: if you can't find the really moist medjool dates, soak them in 1 Tbsp water and microwave for 5 seconds on high to soften them.
- Scrape the sides and process again for another minute.
- Pour in little containers and enjoy at room temperature or store in fridge.
Here are brands of canned lentils I like: Organic Black Lentils— you can also find them (click here) at Target, of all places!!
I also recommend my petits pots de Crème au Chocolat: WOW!!