This was my first attempt at creating the quintessential American apple pie and WOW did I succeed! I have to admit I already had the crust down: I used my vegan sweet galette dough which is so “buttery” delicious and just perfect for this pie! It’s easy and quick to make and I just simply doubled it. The rest was…a piece of cake!! Take a look at the picture, it’s as beautiful as it is yummy! Just in time for apple picking season this Fall!
Quintessential American Apple Pie
- 9-10 golden apples peeled and sliced thin
- 1 Tbsp cider vinegar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 Tbsp whole wheat pastry flour*
- 2 Tbsp cane sugar
- 1 Tsp ground cinnamon
- 4 Tbsp vegan margarine
- Double dough bottom and top:
- 2 1/3 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1/2 cup organic confectioner sugar
- Egg wash optional:
- 1 egg white slightly beaten
- 1 tsp sugar + 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon mixed together
- Preheat oven 425F
- Place the apple slices in a large bowl and add the vanilla and cider vinegar.
- Mix the sugar, flour and cinnamon together, and add to the bowl with the apple slices.
- Gently stir with your hands (or a spoon!) to coat well, and set aside.
- Place all the dough ingredients in the bowl of a food processor and process until a soft ball forms (30 seconds). The dough will be sticky, that's OK--sprinkle it with a little flour, enough to gather it in your hands and make it into a ball.
- Divide the dough into 2 balls and place each on 2 pieces of parchment paper, sprinkled with flour.
- Using a rolling pin, gently roll each ball into a circle about 9 inches in diameter--it"s OK to sprinkle the dough with a little more flour so that it doesn't stick to the rolling pin.
- Peel off one dough circle right into a 9" pie dish and fill it with all the apples. It will be a big mound, that's what you want!
- Top the apples with the vegan margarine in little dabs all over.
- Peel off the second dough circle over the apples and gently press the sides all around with your fingers so that both doughs are together.
- Go around with a fork to make sure there is a tight fit between the bottom and top dough.
- Using a sharp knife, cut an X in the middle of the pie and 2 or 3 more all around the top to create little vents.
- Brush the egg white wash on top of the dough and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar.
- Cover loosely with a heavy duty aluminum foil tent and place in 425 F oven for 15 minutes,
- Then, lower the heat to 375 F and continue to bake for another 20-25 minutes.