When peaches are in season, these scones are a must: they spell sunny lazy summer morning! Peaches, dates and walnuts are another divine trio full of flavor and nutrients to add to my Cuisinicity trifecta scones (check my other ones: Pear Walnut Fig Scones, Pumpkin Raisin Walnut scones, Apple Date Walnut Scones). They are vegan and have no added sugar–the sweetness comes from the ripe peaches, Medjool dates and walnuts–just enough to satisfy that sweet spot! It makes sense: the definition of trifecta is “a perfect group of three” or ” winning three times” and that’s what all my wholegrain scones are based on: 3 wholesome main ingredients, one fresh fruit or vegetable, one dried fruit, one nut and I vary any one of them to create a new flavor. There you have my latest one, just in time for peach season!
Peach Walnut Date Scones
- Wet Ingredients:
- 2 cups chopped fresh peaches with skin on*
- 6 Medjool dates chopped
- 1/2 cup organic expeller pressed canola oil
- 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- Dry Ingredients:
- 2 cups white whole wheat flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/3 cup raw walnut halves or pieces
- Preheat oven 350 F
- Place the chopped peaches, chopped dates and remaining wet ingredients in the bowl of an electric mixer and beat for a couple minutes until thoroughly blended (it's ok for some of the chopped peaches pieces to stay intact!).
- Add the dry ingredients and beat again (it will form a very thick dough and that's OK).
- Scoop out the dough in large heaping spoonfuls, and place each scoop (you'll have enough for 10 small scones) on top of a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Optional: If you'd like, you can top each scone with a piece of walnut before putting in the oven.
- Bake in preheated oven for 20 minutes until golden.