Fresh ripe Bartlett pears, dried figs and walnuts–what a divine trio, full of flavor and nutrients!! These yummy pear walnut fig scones are a variation of my vegan Apple Date Walnut scones. They too are vegan and have no added sugar–the sweetness comes from the ripe pears, dried figs (I use organic Turkish Figs) and walnuts–just enough to satisfy that sweet spot! They are a perfect addition to an elegant afternoon tea party! In fact, have decided to call my new line of Cuisinicity scones my trifecta scones (check my other 2 so far: Pumpkin, Raisin Walnut scones, Apple Date Walnut Scones and I have many more in mind that I am working on)! It makes sense: the definition of trifecta is “a perfect group of three” or ” winning three times” and that’s what all my wholegrain scones are based on: 3 wholesome main ingredients, one fresh fruit or vegetable, one dried fruit, one nut and I vary any one of them to create a new flavor. I am having so much fun creating these moist luscious scones and one more thing…they have no added sugar!
Pear Walnut Fig Scones (Vegan)
- Wet Ingredients:
- 2 cups chopped pears*
- 4 Turkish dried figs chopped
- 1/2 cup organic expeller pressed canola oil
- 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- Dry Ingredients:
- 2 cups white whole wheat flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/3 cup raw walnut halves or pieces
- Preheat oven 350 F
- Place the chopped pears, chopped figs and remaining wet ingredients in the bowl of an electric mixer and beat for a couple minutes until thoroughly blended (it's ok for some of the chopped pear pieces to stay intact!).
- Add the dry ingredients and beat again (it will form a very thick dough and that's OK).
- Scoop out the dough in large heaping spoonfuls, and place each scoop (you'll have enough for 10 small scones) on top of a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Optional: If you'd like, you can top each scone with a piece of walnut before putting in the oven.
- Bake in preheated oven for 20 minutes until golden.