These little burgers are perfect for a Superbowl party! Don’t be fooled, they may look and taste decadent but I have made them a lot healthier for you! I use lean ground turkey and pureed lentils which makes them as moist as they are nutritious. Right before I serve them, I brush each one with my homemade BBQ sauce which gives them a wonderful kick (you can omit the chipotle for younger kids’ simpler taste). Of course, my BBQ sauce is much healthier for you than the typical salt-&-sugar-laden store-bought ones–very simple to make too: Click here for the recipe! I serve these on mini Soft Wheat Buns (here is the recipe).
Mini Turkey Burgers with BBQ Sauce
- 1 lb raw all-natural extra-lean ground turkey organic
- 1 Tbsp flaxmeal diluted in 3 Tbsp water
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 slice 100% wholegrain bread finely ground in food processor
- 1 cup cooked lentils rinsed, drained, finely ground in food processor
- Use recipe for my homemade BBQ sauce
- Mix together all the ingredients thoroughly in a large bowl. The mixture will be “sticky” and that’s just right. You can refrigerate (it also freezes well) at this point until ready to grill (Do not form patties at this point!).
- When ready to prepare, drizzle a little canola oil in a large grill pan and heat. When the pan is very hot, spoon out a scoop of the ground turkey mixture (I like to use an ice-cream scooper) onto the grill pan. Do NOT attempt to shape the patty at this point! Let it sizzle on that side for 2-3 minutes, then flip over and flatten gently with a large spatula and make the circular shape smoother all around with your spatula, continue to grill for 2-3 minutes on that side.
- Flip the patties over once again until cooked through.
- Using a pastry brush, coat each patty with BBQ sauce on both sides (about 2 tsp per patty) and serve on mini soft wheat buns with garnishings.