My homemade tasty BBQ sauce has a wonderful kick (you can omit the chipotle for younger kids’ simpler taste). Of course, I made it much healthier for you than the typical salt-&-sugar-laden-store-bought ones, but I want to be clear that this is by no means a nutritious food item, per se: Just use it as a flavorful accent–a little goes a long way! This recipe makes 3/4 cup and can be stored in the fridge.
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 Tbsp Dijon mustard
- 2 Tbsp canola oil
- 2 Tbsp honey
- 2 Tbsp tomato paste no added salt*
- 1 1/2 tsp chili
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp chipotle powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Place all the ingredients in a small sauce pan, stir well and bring to a simmer for 2-3 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and let it cool.
- Pour the sauce in a container with a lid and refrigerate until ready to use.