This is a wonderful Mediterranean whole wheat couscous salad filled with artichoke hearts, bell peppers, tomatoes, chickpeas, fresh basil, and topped with roasted sunflower seeds! It is perfect on a hot summer day, both because it is so refreshingly delicious but also because it requires no cooking at all! The couscous is raw and just absorbs all the wonderful flavors of the citrus dressing so that it is perfectly fluffy and not clumpy. This vegan salad makes for a complete meal! It keeps beautifully in the fridge so you can have it for lunch the next day and the next day…!!
I made it in my kitchen with my French aunt…it’s bilingual with lots of mediterranean gesturing!! (click here for the video)
- Juice of 1 large orange (about ½ cup)
- Juice of 1 small lemon (about ¼ cup)
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ½ tsp turmeric
- ¼ tsp coarse salt
- Salad ingredients:
- 1 cup whole wheat couscous, dry
- 2 medium tomatoes, rinsed, diced
- 3 bell peppers (yellow, red and orange), rinsed finely diced
- 1 large jar (12 oz) fresh packed marinated artichoke hearts, drained
- 1 (15.5 oz) can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- ½ cup fresh basil , rinsed and chopped
- 1 Tbsp roasted sunflower seeds (unsalted)
- Place all the dressing ingredients in a small bowl and whisk to blend well.
- Place the dry couscous in a large bowl, pour the dressing over it and stir well once; set it aside, uncovered and do not stir again for 10 minutes.
- Place all the remaining ingredients on top of the couscous and gently stir (after the 10 minutes are up!).
- Sprinkle with the sunflower seeds and serve either at room temperature or cold.
Watch this 10 second video clip of the final stirring of all the ingredients… So enticing isn’t it?!