I have to be honest, I am new to vegan baking and I am never quite sure what to expect when I first make an attempt to “veganize” a baked good. This one was no different, I was using my luscious conventional dark chocolate cake recipe as the starting point and I had the feeling this was going to be a futile attempt! I could not have been more wrong! Seriously, I could not believe it when these muffins came out of the oven! They rose nicely, then deflated some once they cooled down, but in doing so, created a rich, dense chocolaty texture that makes them absolutely luscious–I think you can tell from the picture! They might as well be birthday cupcakes–you could top them with a little drizzle of my homemade Chocolate “Fudge” Sauce, to dress them up more if you’d like, but really you don’t even need it–they are perfect just as is!
You can come watch me make them in my kitchen–here!
Chocolate Zucchini Muffins (Vegan)
- Dry ingredients:
- 2 cups white whole wheat flour*
- ¾ cup unsweetened cocoa
- 2 tsp baking powder
- Wet Ingredients:
- 3 Tbsp flax meal + 7 Tbsp water
- 1 cup organic expeller pressed canola oil or olive oil extra virgin
- 1 cup white sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 cups grated unpeeled zucchini about 3 medium zucchini
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a small bowl, stir together 3 tablespoons flax meal and 7 Tbsp water. Let sit for 2-3 minutes to thicken.
- Sift flour, unsweetened cocoa and baking powder together in a bowl and put aside.
- Place oil, sugar, thickened flax meal and vanilla together in the bowl of an electric mixer and beat well until creamy.
- Add sifted ingredients to the creamed mixture, and beat well again (it will be thick and that’s OK!).
- Add the grated zucchini (with their "juice”) to the bowl and beat again until well combined.
- Line 2 muffin baking pans with 18 paper liners and spoon the batter in each so that each is 2/3 full.
- Bake in preheated oven for about 20 minutes, or until tester inserted in the center comes out clean.