This “rich” cake is so moist, it does not even need frosting! …and the secret ingredient is…Zucchini…lots of it! Even I cannot believe how much I snuck in there! I can frankly say “snuck” because you wouldn’t know they were there. The grated zucchini just “melt” inside the cake batter when baked and the result is pure rich moistness! These also make wonderful little cupcakes for a birthday party (I also have a vegan version of this recipe here). Kids have no idea they are eating their vegetables!!
Dark Chocolate Cake
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- ¾ cup unsweetened cocoa
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 3 large eggs omega-3
- 1 cup organic expeller pressed canola oil
- 1 1/4 cups white sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 cups grated unpeeled zucchini about 3 medium zucchini
- Grease (I use a little smart balance) and flour a bundt cake pan
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Sift flour, unsweetened cocoa, baking powder and cinnamon together in a bowl and put aside.
- Beat eggs, oil, sugar and vanilla together in a large bowl of an electric mixer.
- Add sifted ingredients to the creamed mixture, and beat well (it will be thick and that’s OK!)
- Add the grated zucchini (with their juice”) to the bowl abd beat again until well combined.
- Pour batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake for about 40-45 minutes, or until tester inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool in pan for at least 20 minutes before unmolding.