WOW…Glorious!! Isn’t it spectacular looking? Alright alright, I get a bit carried away with my superlatives, in fact, I “can’t stop the feeling” from Justin Timberlake is playing in my head and I am dancing as I speak….but really, this pie makes me happy! This Orchard Peach Pie is the vegan version of my already luscious sweet galettes! It is the quintessential summer dessert, when peaches are perfectly sweet and juicy ripe. The crust is made with white whole wheat flour which is light and delicate but still rich in fiber and white wine and extra virgin olive oil…say what? There is very little added sugar (1/3 cup + 1 Tbsp for the whole thing!) but it’s plenty sweet. The peaches are nestled in a lovely “creamy” custard made out of unsweetened applesauce, almond meal and pure vanilla…and all that without cream or eggs of course since I made it vegan! Sprinkle the top with a little cinnamon, and I hope you get that same feeling and just in case you do…scroll down, blast that song and start dancing!
Orchard Peach Pie (Vegan)
- Pie crust:
- 1 3/4 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1/3 cup confectioner sugar
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/3 cup white wine
- 3/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 3 Tbsp almond meal
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 4 organic ripe peaches with skin, rinsed & sliced
- 1 Tbsp granulated sugar
- Sprinkle of cinnamon
- Preheat oven 400F
- Pie crust:
- Place all the crust ingredients in the bowl of a food processor and process until a soft ball forms (30 seconds). The dough will be sticky, that's OK--sprinkle it with a little flour (no more than 1 Tbsp flour), enough to gather it in your hands and make it into a ball.
- Place it on a piece of parchment paper and using a rolling pin, gently roll into a circle about 12 inches in diameter.
- Transfer onto an 11" tart pan with removable bottom (see photo at the bottom of the page) and gently press the dough against the rim all around to make a nice border.
- Mix applesauce, almond meal and vanilla extract and stir well with a spoon until thoroughly mixed.
- Spread the custard evenly over the dough.
- Spread the sliced peaches in one layer so that they look pretty.
- Sprinkle with the granulated sugar and cinnamon.
- Bake in preheated oven for 25 minutes or until the peaches are juicy and tender and the crust is golden.