This is the vegan version of my popular Lemon Pistachio Chicken. Using Portabello mushrooms,this plant-based recipe is just as delicious and “meaty”! I mean, take a look at that picture-WOW! Like the original, it is quick and simple: Just make sure to have all your ingredients ready to go on your kitchen counter beforehand. The pistachios create the creaminess of the sauce and the wine, combined with the fresh lemon juice and zest give it a delightful tangy flavor. I like to serve this dish with a side of sautéed spinach and mashed potatoes. Pure yumminess!
Lemon Pistachio Portabello Mushrooms
- 6 portabello mushrooms
- 3 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 garlic clove minced
- ½ cup vegetable broth
- ¼ cup vermouth or white wine
- juice of 1 lemon about 1/4 cup
- lemon zest to taste
- 1/3 cup roasted salted pistachio nuts chopped*
- Rinse and dry the portabello mushrooms, discard the stem (you will be using the caps whole).
- Place 3 Tbsp of olive oil in a large non-stick pan and sauté the mushroom caps for a few minutes on each side until lightly browned but not completely cooked through .
- Add (in this order) the minced garlic, vegetable broth, lemon juice & wine, and bring to a quick boil.
- Reduce the heat to a simmer and add the chopped pistachio nuts and lemon zest, and spoon gently to coat the mushrooms.
- Continue to simmer for an additional 4-5 minutes uncovered until the juices thicken.