I love apples, especially in my dessert, so there is no limit to how many I could create! This Golden Apple Pie is the vegan version of my French Apple Tart. I am amazed that it is almost as rich tasting as my original, which already was nutritious and delicious. The crust is made with white whole wheat flour which is light and delicate but still rich in fiber and white wine and extra virgin olive oil…say what? There is very little added sugar (1/3 cup + 1 Tbsp for the whole thing!) but it’s plenty sweet. The golden delicious apples are nestled in a lovely “creamy” custard made out of unsweetened applesauce (more apples, but of course!), almond meal and pure vanilla extract…and all that, without cream or eggs of course since I made it vegan! I sprinkle the top with cinnamon and….WOW the scent in the house is so heartwarming! It is so YUMMY, I LOVE it!
Golden Apple Pie (Vegan)
- Pie crust:
- 1 3/4 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1/3 cup confectioner sugar
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/3 cup white wine
- 3/4 cup organic applesauce unsweetened
- 3 Tbsp almond meal
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 4 organic golden delicious apples with skin, rinsed & sliced
- 1 Tbsp granulated sugar
- Sprinkle of cinnamon
- Preheat oven 400F
- Pie crust:
- Place all the crust ingredients in the bowl of a food processor and process until a soft ball forms (30 seconds). The dough will be sticky, that's OK--sprinkle it with a little flour (no more than 1 Tbsp flour), enough to gather it in your hands and make it into a ball.
- Place it on a piece of parchment paper and using a rolling pin, gently roll into a circle about 12 inches in diameter.
- Transfer onto an 11" tart pan with removable bottom (see photo at the bottom of the page) and gently press the dough against the rim all around to make a nice border.
- Mix applesauce, almond meal and vanilla extract and stir well with a spoon until thoroughly mixed.
- Spread the custard evenly over the dough.
- Spread the sliced apples in one layer so that they look pretty.
- Sprinkle with the granulated sugar and cinnamon.
- Bake in preheated oven for 25 minutes or until the apples are juicy and tender and the crust is golden.
- Let cool and sprinkle with a dusting of confectioner sugar, if you'd like--not necessary--just so pretty!