If you love creamy spinach artichoke dip, you will absolutely love this lasagna! It is so rich tasting but of course I have upgraded it! I use my simple béchamel sauce recipe (click here) free of saturated fats, made with wholegrain flour to boot. The combination of spinach and artichoke blends beautifully with its creaminess. I add a relatively small amount of grated gruyère cheese on top of the lasagna to finish it up. I intentionally use this very flavorful (not low-fat) cheese so that I can use it sparingly and still achieve that wonderful cheesy-ness! It is absolutely divine, as delicious as it is beautiful!
Here is a brand of wholegrain lasagna I like to use.
- 9 whole wheat lasagna noodles, cooked and drained
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 3 shallots, chopped
- 1½ cups quartered marinated artichoke hearts*, drained
- 12 cups fresh baby spinach, loosely packed
- ½ cup grated gruyère cheese
- ¼ tsp salt
- 3 cups Béchamel sauce (click on recipe above)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet and sauté the shallots for a few minutes.
- Add the drained marinated artichoke hearts and continue to cook for a few minutes.
- Add the fresh baby spinach, 4 cups at a time, while still cooking--it will appear as though it's too much, but, not to worry, it will quickly wilt down and you can then add each "batch" of spinach until you have all 12 cups in the skillet. Check out the little video clip below.
- Continue to cook until the spinach has wilted completely, and their "juices" have mostly evaporated (a little liquid left is OK), add salt, and stir.
- ASSEMBLING(see below summary of the layering)
- Spread ¼ of the béchamel sauce in the bottom of a glass or ceramic baking dish (9X13).
- Lay 3 of the cooked lasagna noodles on top of the béchamel sauce.
- Spread HALF of the spinach/artichoke mixture on top of the noodles.
- Spread ¼ of the béchamel sauce on top of the spinach/artichoke mixture.
- Continue to alternate the assembly until you get to the last 3 lasagna noodles.
- At that point, spread with remaining ¼ of the béchamel sauce and sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake in preheated oven for 20-25 minutes, until top is bubbling and golden.
Bottom layer: 1/4 Béchamel-3 Noodles-1/2 Spinach mixture
Middle layer: 1/4 Béchamel-3 Noodles-1/2 Spinach mixture
Top layer: 1/4 Béchamel-3 Noodles-1/4 Bechamel-Cheese