Just take a look at this luscious, melt-in-your-mouth decadent rich dark chocolate lava cake! Death by chocolate, you say?…Nope, you can enjoy this one without the guilt! There is nothing unhealthy about it, quite the contrary, in fact: It has no extra added sugar, it is vegan (gluten-free & soy-free too) and it is filled with wholesome plant-based ingredients rich in fiber, protein, minerals and omega 3’s: dark chocolate, sweet potato, black lentils, walnuts, flax meal, and medjool dates, THAT’S IT: 6 ingredients! The beauty of it is that you can’ t even taste these individual ingredients….other than the creamy dark chocolate, of course! Even I cannot believe how extravagantly delicious this chocolate lava cake tastes! So many of you have been trying to guess the ingredients, well now the word is out…enjoy to your heart’s content, quite literally!
- ½ cup raw walnuts halves
- 6 medjool dates, pitted
- 1 baked small sweet potato*, skin removed, mashed with a fork (about ⅔ cup)
- 1(15 oz) can organic black lentils, rinsed & drained*
- 3 Tbsp flaxmeal diluted in ⅔ cup water
- 10 oz dark chocolate (60% cocoa)
- Optional: Drizzle with vegan chocolate fudge sauce(link to recipe below)
- Preheat the oven 375 F
- Break the dark chocolate into large pieces and place in a microwavable cup. Heat for 1-2 minutes on high until melted, stir and set aside.
- Place the walnuts & pitted dates in the bowl of a food processor and grind well for 30 seconds.
- Add the mashed sweet potato, drained black lentils and diluted flaxmeal (with the water) to the date/nut ground mixture and pulse a few times, scraping the sides of the bowl in between to make sure the "batter" is very smooth.
- Add the melted dark chocolate and process for an additional 20-30 seconds until creamy and smooth.
- Line a muffin baking pan with 12 silicone cupcake liners or individual porcelain ramekins (2.5 oz) lightly greased with a little canola oil ((so that you can later easily unmold them onto a plate) and scoop the batter in so that each is ⅔ full.
- Bake in preheated oven for 15 minutes (It's OK to underbake as this is a vegan recipe and the middle doesn't have to be fully baked).
- Let cool, then gently run a knife around the perimeter first before unmolding onto a small plate.
- Drizzle with a little chocolate fudge sauce from a squeeze plastic bottle (see recipe link below).
I like to have them ready to go, unbaked in the fridge and I just throw them in the oven right before dinner time for 15 minutes, so that they are perfectly warm and melting by the time dessert comes around! You can keep them in the ramekins or unmold them onto a little plate, like I did for my holiday party this week…. and they will completely wow your guests!!
Here is the recipe for my vegan chocolate fudge sauce, if using: