I converted my yummy regular corn bread to this equally delicious vegan version. I have done away with the eggs and the milk by replacing them with flax meal diluted in a little water and soy milk (with a little bit of apple cider vinegar to “curdle” it). I have to be honest, this bread does not rise as high as my regular corn bread, still, it is surprisingly light and absolutely delicious and goes beautifully with my vegetarian chili!
Vegan Corn Bread
- Dry Ingredients:
- 1 ½ cup stone ground yellow cornmeal medium grind
- 1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/2 cup bread flour unbleached
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 Tbsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- "Wet" Ingredients:
- 1 ½ cup soy milk* + 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- ¾ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 Tbsp flax meal + 5 Tbsp water
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Grease and flour a loaf pan.
- Combine the soy milk with the apple cider vinegar and let it sit for 2 minutes so that the soy milk curdles.
- Place the flax meal and water in a small container and stir. Let it thicken for a minute before proceeding.
- Combine all dry ingredients in a large bowl and set aside.
- Mix all the wet ingredients in the bowl of an electric mixer and beat well.
- Add the dry ingredient mixture to the bowl and beat again.
- Pour batter into prepared loaf pan.
- Bake in preheated oven until golden and toothpick comes out clean in the center (about 30-35 minutes).
Just an idea for a better rise: consider clotted soymilk (2 tsp vinegar to 1 cup soymilk). It tends to work well with baking powder, but especially baking soda. This can give a good initial rise, and hopefully the structural ingredients are sufficient, so that the baked good doesn’t deflate later in the baking time.
Catherine Katz says
I will absolutely try that!! Thank you so much Linda!