This version of the classic recipe calls for olive oil instead of butter It also has less sugar and salt than the typical recipe. In order to increase the fiber content, I make it with 100% stone ground yellow cornmeal (I especially like Bob’s Red Mills organic medium grind) and a mixture of whole wheat pastry flour and bread flour rather than plain white flour as is customary. The result is absolutely delicious, prefect with a hearty bean chili! (Vegetarian Chili, Turkey Bean Chili). If you are so lucky to have some leftover on a lazy Sunday morning, you can spread a little honey on a slice and enjoy it along with a cup of strong coffee….ohhhhh my goodness so yummy! I also have a vegan version, if you prefer: Vegan Corn Bread.
- Dry Ingredients:
- 1 ½ cup stone ground yellow cornmeal medium grind
- 1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/2 cup bread flour unbleached
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- ¾ tsp salt
- "Wet" Ingredients:
- 1 ½ cup skim milk
- ¾ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cage-free eggs
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Grease and flour a loaf pan.
- Combine all dry ingredients in a large bowl and set aside.
- Mix all the wet ingredients in the bowl of an electric mixer and beat well.
- Add the dry ingredient mixture to the bowl and beat again.
- Pour batter into prepared loaf pan.
- Bake in preheated oven until golden and toothpick comes out clean in the center (about 35-40 minutes).