This veggie meat sauce is outrageously delicious! It tastes just like a ground turkey veggie Bolognese sauce except it’s vegan! I use rehydrated TVP (Click here to see basic “recipe” to rehydrate dry TVP) and sauté it in extra virgin olive oil, with garlic and onions, along with 6 cups of any chopped veggies (WOW!) that you have on hand, and I mean any– How simple is that?! Simmer for 15 minutes in a simple store-bought or homemade marinara sauce (here is one I like but any wholesome one will do). Follow this throw-everything-together-in-one-pan recipe and use the sauce over wholegrain pasta or ciabatta or bread of your choice, lined with fresh raw baby spinach, or stuff hollowed squash or bell peppers with it (check out the many ways I have used this wonderful sauce in my instagram videos below). You can top it with grated cheese and place under the broiler for a few minutes to make it “au gratin”. I like a good gruyere cheese but you can also use any non-dairy cheese of your choice or just leave it out…et voilà!
- 1 medium sweet onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- ⅓ cup extra virgin Olive Oil (organic)
- 2 cups rehydrated TVP
- 6 cups chopped veggies*
- 1 tsp ground thyme or fresh Thyme to taste
- ¾ tsp salt
- 32 oz organic marinara sauce (no added sugar)
- Heat the olive oil in a large sauce pan and sauté the diced onion and garlic for a few minutes, until barely soft.
- Add the rehydrated TVP, diced veggies, thyme and salt and stir to coat with the sautéed onion and garlic, and continue to cook, uncovered for 10 minutes.
- Add the marinara sauce, stir and cook for an additional 15 minutes.
Click here if you’d like to know more about my husband’s and colleagues’ verdict on soy.