WOW is basically what I have to say!! Oh Allright, I’ll say more….Amazing, delectable, yummy gluten-free dessert with impeccable nutrition, and so easy to make too! You throw it all in a food processor and drizzle with chocolate, and there you have it! The reason I say WOW to the nutrition as well as the delicious factor is that this marbled chocolate pumpkin baked custard hides a “ton” of…..red lentils! Of course, if you know my style by now you can trust me when I say you have no idea they are there! They just impart their protein and fiber and vitamins and minerals and just humbly disappear into the batter. The organic pumpkin (here is one I like) of course adds its great nutrition along as well. Did I say WOW?!!!
Marbled Chocolate Pumpkin Baked Custard
- 1 15 oz can organic pumpkin 100% pure, no added sugar or salt
- 1/2 cup dry red lentils
- 4 cage free large eggs
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup bittersweet chocolate chips 60% cocoa
- 1 1/2 Tbsp unsweetened almond milk
- Preheat the oven to 350 and grease the bottom of a glass pie dish.
- Place 3 cups of water in a pan and bring to a boil.
- Place the lentils in the boiling water, cook for 10 minutes, drain and rinse and drain again (you will have a little over 1 cup cooked lentils).
- Place cooked drained lentils in the bowl of a food processor; add the eggs, pumpkin and sugar and process briefly until thoroughly mixed and smooth.
- Place the batter (it will be liquid-y and that's ok!) in the pie dish.
- Place the chocolate chips and almond milk in a microwavable glass measuring cup and microwave on high setting for 30 seconds. Stir well until smooth.
- Using a big spoon, drizzle the chocolate mixture over the pumpkin batter--Don't actually touch the batter with the spoon and be creative with pretty zig zags and designs (no matter what you do, it always comes out so pretty!).
- Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes or until the custard has "settled".
- Serve warm or cold.