If chicken parmesan is one of those favorite dishes you had to avoid because it was too rich, here is one I think you’ll love and I know will love you back! It’s very easy: I use the recipe for my crispy chicken tenders made with the wholegrain crust (so you have added fiber to boot!) and I use a store-bought simple tomato marinara sauce, so that’s one less thing to fuss about. You can of course make your marinara sauce from scratch but I find that as long as whatever brand you use has no added sugar and has those few simple ingredients you would expect in a wholesome marinara sauce (tomatoes, extra virgin olive oil, fresh basil, onion, garlic and salt), you’ll be all set and can save yourself the time and hassle! Also note that I purposely choose very flavorful cheeses (the smoked mozzarella is a lovely touch!) so I can use them sparingly and can get away with a little less saturated fat too!
- ingredients for the CRISPY CHICKEN TENDERS
- 1 jar 24 oz Marinara sauce (with no added sugar)
- 2 oz gruyere cheese grated
- 2 oz shredded smoked mozzarella sliced
- Preheat the oven to 350
- Make the recipe for CRISPY CHICKEN TENDERS but leave slightly undercooked ( 2 min on each side).
- Place half the marinara sauce in a baking dish, add the crispy chicken cutlets and nestle them in the sauce, and cover with the remaining marinara sauce.
- Add both cheeses on top.
- Place in preheated oven for 25 minutes until bubbly.
- Place under broiler for 3-5 minutes to brown (optional).