These pancakes are made with organic white whole wheat flour which has all the nutritional advantages of traditional whole wheat, but with a lighter color and a milder taste. Here is one I like to use and another one that may be easier to find at your regular supermarket. The batter is filled with ripe banana and ground hazelnuts and the result is outrageously delicious, and… of course so good for you!
Banana Hazelnut Pancakes
- 1 1/2 cup organic whole white wheat flour
- 1/4 cup ground hazelnuts
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 3 cage free organic large eggs
- 1 1/4 cup organic skim milk
- 2 Tbsp organic expeller pressed canola oil
- 1 ripe medium banana mashed--about 1/3 cup
- Place flour, ground hazelnuts and baking powder in a large bowl. Make a well in the center and add the eggs, skim milk, canola oil and mashed banana.
- Stir with a spoon just until combined----Do not over mix, it will make the pancakes tough.
- Add the ground hazelnuts and briefly stir again.
- Pour the batter in a batter dispenser (pictured below) and let it sit, without stirring, for 10 minutes.
- Coat a large nonstick skillet or griddle with a little canola oil or smart balance; heat over medium heat.
- Pour the batter into the preheated pan (or onto the griddle) by pulling the release handle to make perfect circles.
- Cook until the edges are dry and you see some bubbles on the surface, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Flip and cook until golden brown on the other side, 2 to 3 minutes more.
Click here for a fantastic article about everything you wanted to know about bananas, from their history and interesting facts to their health benefits!