The stuffing for these stuffed portabello mushrooms is a delicious and nutritious alternative to regular white bread stuffing. The bulgur wheat and walnuts add fiber, protein and healthy omega 3’s fatty acids and they blend so well together with the sautéed vegetables. You can prepare the mushrooms in advance and refrigerate them so you can pop them in the oven when you’re ready. They are as delicious as they are simple and wholesome. You can also use this stuffing recipe to stuff roasted acorn squash…also WOW!
Stuffed Portabello Mushroom
- 24 small or 6 large portabello mushroom caps*
- 1 small yellow onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 celery stock diced
- 1 medium carrot well scrubbed and diced
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- ¾ cup dry bulgur wheat
- 2 cups water
- ½ cup coarsely ground walnuts
- 1/2 tsp salt
- fresh sage to taste or 1/2 tsp dry sage
- fresh ground pepper
- Preheat oven 385º F.
- Getting the mushroom caps ready:
- Rinse and dry the mushroom caps and trim the stem (no need to hollow them out).
- Heat a large shallow pan and when hot, add the mushroom caps and sear for 2-3 minutes on each side (no need for added oil if the pan is really hot!!). Turn off the heat and set aside onto a plate until ready to assemble.
- They will give out some liquid as they cool off in the plate: Keep the reserved liquid for later!
- Making the stuffing:
- Heat olive oil in large shallow pan over medium heat. Add garlic, onion, carrot and celery and sautee for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the dry bulgur wheat to the pan and continue to cook while stirring for a few seconds and add the fresh (or dry) sage, salt and pepper.
- Add the water and cook until tender and all the liquid is absorbed (about 5-8 minutes).
- Remove from heat and stir in ground walnuts and reserved liquid from the cooked mushrooms.
- Place the seared mushrooms on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and fill (actually the stuffing just sits on top) each with the stuffing mixture, using an ice-cream scooper, packing down slightly. It will be overstuffed, that’s ok!
- Bake in preheated oven for 15-20 minutes.