This is an exquisite omelet filled with fresh baby spinach and tomatoes and with just enough feta cheese to make it rich but not too much to burden it with a lot of saturated fat. I also add a little lowfat kefir to the eggs, before whisking them to add to the creaminess. Eggs are a great source of protein and, coupled with fresh veggies, make for a very satisfying and filling breakfast. You can use other veggies or cheese instead: one of my favorite variation is mushroom, green scallion & smoked mozzarella, yummy!
Spinach Tomato Feta Omelet
- 2 large organic cage-free eggs
- 1 Tbsp lowfat Kefir
- 1/2 tsp regular smart balance
- pinch of salt and fresh ground pepper
- 1 Tbsp crumbled feta cheese
- 1/2 cup loose-leave raw baby spinach
- 1 small tomato rinsed and diced
- In a small bowl, whisk the eggs, kefir, salt and pepper, with a fork.
- Place a medium non-stick skillet on high heat.
- When hot, place the smart balance in the skillet, let it melt, and immediately pour the eggs into the skillet (it should sizzle).
- Place the spinach, then the tomatoes and feta onto of the eggs and continue to cook as is.
- As the eggs start to set around the edges, use a rubber spatula to lift the edges all around, and continue to do so until the eggs are no longer loose.
- When the eggs start to set, using the rubber spatula, fold one half of the omelet over the other and cook until ready (no more than 3 or 4 minutes total)