My son Gabe is 15 and I could swear he grows an inch every single day! OK, I admit, it’s probably an exaggeration but it really feels and looks that way! More than ever, I want to make sure and give him all the right fuel for his body to grow. So, I created this milk shake for him (I am happy to share!). It’s absolutely power nutrition! The “secret” ingredients which you would never know are in there–you just don’t taste them–are black lentils (canned is fine–click here for a brand I like) and rolled oats! In one fell swoop, I have fruit, whole grains, legumes, dairy and nuts all in this one shake….and he LOVES it!! It’s quick and easy to make on a busy school morning for breakfast, or as a snack to take to school in a thermos. I am so proud of this little recipe and it fills me with joy knowing it’s really contributing to his phenomenal growth! It is rich in protein containing an astonishing 18 g (no protein powder concoction needed here!), a huge 9 g of fiber, a substantial 1167 mg potassium and 391 mg calcium which is 30 % of the amount he needs at this age just from that one drink.
Click here for the vegan version of this!
- 1 cup organic skim milk (or soy milk)
- 3 Tbsp bittersweet chocolate chips (60% cacao- Ghirardelli)
- 2 Tbsp canned black lentils, rinsed and drained
- 2 Tbsp rolled oats
- 1 small ripe banana
- 1 Tbsp natural unsweetened almond butter (optional)
- 1 cup ice
- Place skim milk in a microwaveable cup with the chocolate chips and heat on high for 1 minute only!
- Stir Briefly and pour into a blender, making sure to get all the chocolate.
- Add remaining ingredients and process until smooth--about 30 seconds
Nutrition for 1 serving (3 cups) with the almond butter
Total Calories: 519
Total Carbohydrates: 67g
Total Protein: 18g
Total Fat: 22g
Total Saturated Fat: 8g
Total MUFA: 9g
Total PUFA: 3g
Total Fiber: 9g
Added Sugars: 11g