All 5 of my kids were “raised” on these and their cousins and all their friends and any kid (or adult for that matter!) who ever tried one just LOVES them! YUM! These no-bake cookies are the healthy and nutritious version of the conventional rice crispies that typically contain no fiber and are saturated with hydrogenated oil and marshmallow sugar goo! Instead, these little squares are filled with the healthy omega-3 fatty acid found in flax meal and, together with the natural unsweetened peanut butter, and the organic puffed brown rice cereal provide a good source of dietary fiber and protein. These little fiber power houses are easy to make with the kids and are absolutely delicious. They freeze really well too so you can have them on hand at a moment’s notice!
Katz Flax Crisps
- 1 cup natural honey
- 1 cup natural peanut butter no added salt or sugar
- 1 cup Flaxmeal
- 5 cups Crispy brown rice cereal Erewhon®-No salt
- 1/3 cup bittersweet chocolate chips 60% cocoa optional
- Place honey in a pan over low heat and cook for 1-2 minutes (no more than that! just enough to warm the honey so that it will blend in easily with the peanut butter).
- Turn off the stove and stir in peanut butter until melted. Stir until smooth.
- Put flaxmeal in a large bowl along with the crispy rice cereal and mix gently with your (clean!) hands.
- Pour the warm peanut butter/honey mixture in the bowl with the rice cereal and flaxmeal and stir well with a spoon. Stir in chocolate chips while still warm, if using.
- Pour mixture into an 8X12 pan and press down to flatten with slightly damp hands until nicely compact and flat throughout.
- Place in the refrigerator for 15 minutes and cut into 30 squares.