This wonderful creamy red lentil squash soup is a family favorite that I like to make on a cold winter night! The spices (coriander, cumin cinnamon & turmeric…Yum!) blend beautifully with the sweet flavor of the butternut squash and the red lentils. No one has any idea that this nutritional powerhouse of a legume, rich in protein, fiber and vitamin and minerals is hidden in this yummy comforting soup! You will LOVE this soup, and there is no question it will love you back!
Creamy Coriander Butternut Squash And Red Lentil Soup
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 2 20 oz packages of fresh peeled cut-up butternut squash
- 9 cups water
- 1 ½ cup dry red lentils
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 2 Tbsp tomato concentrate
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- Fresh ground black pepper to taste
- Heat the olive oil in a heavy pan and stir in the chopped onion and garlic for a few minutes until soft.
- Add the coriander, cumin, cinnamon, turmeric and tomato concentrate and stir.
- Add the butternut squash and water and bring to a boil uncovered.
- Lower the heat to a simmer and continue to cook for 20 minutes covered.
- Add the lentils, stir and continue to simmer for an additional 15 minutes or until the butternut squash and lentils are very soft.
- Add salt and pepper.
- Place in food processor or blender and purée until smooth.
- Ladle in a soup bowl and sprinkle with a pinch of coriander and cinnamon.
- Stir the surface gently so as to get a swirl on the surface…et voilà!