Of course I don’t use cream in my Cream of Asparagus with Pistachios! It doesn’t need it. The soy milk takes care of that. This vegan recipe is so easy to make: it’s ridiculous! Basically, it’s asparagus and soy milk (and a sprinkle of pistachios) but really that’s almost all you need in this yummy soup!
Cream of Asparagus
- 8 cups fresh asparagus spears rinsed and cut in half (2 bunches)
- 2 shallots
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 6 cups organic plain soy milk unsweetened
- 3/4 tsp coarse salt
- fresh ground pepper
- 1/3 cup dry roasted pistachios
- Heat oil in a large cast iron dutch oven (I like Le Creuset but any heavy bottom deep pan will do) over high heat, add the shallots and sautée for 4-5 minutes.
- Add the asparagus and continue to cook, uncovered for another 10 minutes, until just barely tender.
- Add the soy milk, salt and pepper and simmer covered for 20 minutes (watch out it may boil over so monitor it from time to time).
- Uncover and cook for an additional 10 minutes or so (a "skin" will appear on top).
- Stir again, cover again and let cool.
- Process in a blender until creamy.
- When ready to serve, pour in bowls and sprinkle equally with the pistachios.