I love love love this vegan creamy cauliflower soup! It is creamy but has no cream and no dairy. It is just so satisfying and so very simple. It’s basically made up of soy milk and lots of cauliflower! The pepitas on top give it a little crunchiness and the drizzle of extra virgin olive oil add just the right touch!
Creamy Cauliflower Soup
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 medium white onions finely chopped
- 12 cups cauliflower florets rinsed (about 2 heads)
- 6 cups organic plain soy milk unsweetened
- 1 tsp coarse salt
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg
- fresh ground pepper
- 1/3 cup dry roasted pepitas
- Drizzle of flavorful extra virgin olive oil
- Heat oil in a large cast iron dutch oven (I like Le Creuset but any heavy bottom deep pan will do) over high heat, add the onions and sautée for 8-10 minutes until soft.
- Add the cauliflower florets, cover, and continue to cook for another 10-15 minutes, until the cauliflower is tender (It doesn't have to be uniformly soft at this point), stirring occasionally.
- Add the soy milk, salt, pepper and nutmeg and simmer covered for 15 minutes (watch out it may boil over so monitor it from time to time).
- Uncover and cook for an additional 10 minutes or so (a "skin" will appear on top).
- Stir again, cover again and let cool.
- Process in a blender or if you have a smart stick hand blender, grind the cauliflower to the desired creaminess (see the video clip below)--leaving some chunkiness.
- When ready to serve, pour in bowls and sprinkle equally with the pepitas.
- Drizzle with a little olive oil (optional)