Chicken Fricassee over Quinoa is a wonderful French stew loaded with fresh vegetables, onions and leeks (Make sure to clean them thoroughly–click here to learn how to clean and cut leeks) with a provençal tomato twist. I love to serve it over my Simply Quinoa-YUM!
Chicken Fricassee Over Quinoa
- 6 free-range chicken thighs boned, skinless
- 4 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion peeled and chopped
- 2 leeks thoroughly cleaned and chopped*
- 3 cloves garlic peeled and chopped
- 2 carrots peeled and chopped
- 1 medium zucchini rinsed, unpeeled and cut in strips
- 1 medium yellow squash rinsed, unpeeled and cut in strips
- 1 medium red bell pepper rinsed and cut in strips
- 1 cup fat free chicken broth
- 1 15 oz can of diced tomatoes with no added sugar
- Juice and zest of 1 small orange about 1/3 cup
- 1 Tbsp herbes de Provence fresh
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Fresh ground pepper
- Rinse and pat dry chicken thighs and lightly salt and pepper.
- Heat 2 Tbsp of the olive oil in a large heavy bottom pan or Dutch oven and quickly brown the chicken thighs on both sides for 3-4 minutes each so that the outside is a little golden but the chicken is still uncooked. Set aside on a plate for later.
- Place remaining olive oil in the same pan and sautee the chopped onions, leeks, garlic and carrots for about 5 minutes until soft.
- Add the zucchini, squash and bell pepper, stirring them gently and continue to cook for a few minutes.
- Add chicken broth, diced tomatoes, orange juice and zest, herbes de provence, salt, and pepper and bring to a quick boil.
- Lower the heat to a simmer and add the chicken thighs back in, basting the sauce over them to cover them.
- Simmer uncovered for 30-40 minutes and serve over quinoa.