OH MY GOODNESS ME! These vegan apple cinnamon muffins are the quintessential autumn treat during apple picking season. They fill my kitchen with that wonderful warm-your-heart-and-soul sweet aroma! They are filled with apples —and really, you can make this recipe with just about any variety of apples you have on hand, just as long as they come to 2 1/2 cups (packed) coarsely grated. They have no added sugar: their perfect sweetness,not too much (!), comes from the apples and the chopped medjool dates. They have a very light texture: I use white whole wheat flour to achieve that airiness while keeping the rich fiber content (the apples and flax meal also help of course!) and they are rich in healthy mono-unsaturated and omega 3’s fatty acids. This recipe requires a little more work than my typical Cuisinicity throw-everything-together recipes, but it is so worth it!
I love to serve them with a little dollop of organic apple butter for the perfect touch on a leisurely autumn Sunday morning!
Apple Muffins (Vegan)
- Dry ingredients:
- 2 1/2 cups white whole wheat flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- Wet Ingredients:
- 3 Tbsp flax meal + 7 Tbsp water
- 1 cup organic expeller-pressed canola oil*
- 8 medjool dates pitted and chopped
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups grated unpeeled apples packed (about 3 medium apples depending on the variety)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a small bowl, stir together 3 tablespoons flax meal and 7 Tbsp water. Let sit for 2-3 minutes to thicken.
- Sift flour, cinnamon and baking powder together in a bowl and set aside.
- Place the chopped dates, oil, thickened flax meal and vanilla extract in the bowl of an electric mixer and beat well until thoroughly mixed.
- Add sifted ingredients to the creamed mixture, and beat well again (it will be thick and that’s OK!).
- Add the grated apples (with their "juice”) to the bowl and beat again until well combined.
- Line 2 muffin baking pans with 20 paper liners and spoon the batter in each so that each is 2/3 full.
- Bake in preheated oven for about 15 minutes, or until tester inserted in the center comes out clean.