So simple to throw together and absolutely delightful! The red potatoes just simmer with the fresh tomatoes, onions and herbs in the oven for an hour and the result is this almost caramelized hearty dish! It is important to use red potatoes for this Red Potato Provençal recipe because they will not fall apart and just stay intact to soak up the wonderful sauce!
Red Potato Provençal
- 4 large red potatoes unpeeled, thoroughly rinsed
- 3 medium ripe tomatoes
- 2 sweet onions thickly sliced
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1 1 /2 tsp dry thyme or fresh thyme to taste
- 1 tsp dry rosemary
- 2 bay leaves
- fresh ground pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven 350 F
- Sautee the onions in the olive oil until just soft (about 10 minutes) but not fully cooked (they will continue to cook in the oven) and set aside.
- Cut the potatoes and tomatoes into quarters and place them together in a large bowl.
- Add the warm onions (with the oil they are cooked in), the spices, bay leaves, salt and pepper to the bowl and mix gently to coat all the ingredients.
- Transfer to a large baking dish in one layer and place in preheated oven.
- Bake for an hour (or more depending on your own oven, but make sure they are to the point of being almost caramelized, like the photo), stirring gently twice to make sure all the juices cover the potatoes.
- Serve with fresh sprigs of thyme.