This pasta salad is sure to please a crowd! A complete meal in a dish, filled with veggies–it has wholegrain pasta, shrimp, walnuts and fresh basil–Great served cold so you can make it in advance and just display it on a beautiful platter!
Pesto Veggie Pasta Salad with Grilled Shrimp
- BASIL WALNUT PESTO
- 2 cups fresh basil leaves loosely packed, rinsed and patted dry
- 1/2 cup walnut halves
- Juice of 1 lemon 2 Tbsp
- 1 garlic clove
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Assembling the Salad:
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 24 frozen raw medium easy-peel shrimp
- 1/2 tsp coarse salt
- 1 package 12 oz whole wheat spiral pasta
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes rinsed and quartered
- 1 large raw zucchini diced
- 1 large yellow bell pepper diced
- In a food processor, combine the basil, walnuts, lemon juice, garlic, salt and pepper. Process for a few seconds, then, with motor still running, slowly pour 1/4 cup olive oil through the feed tube and process until smooth.
- Set aside.
- Quickly defrost the shrimp by rinsing in cold water and peel; pat dry with paper towel and set aside.
- Cook the pasta in boiling water according to package directions (It should be “al dente”) . Drain and rinse under cold water and drain again. Set aside to cool down.
- Meanwhile place 1 Tbsp olive oil on a cast iron grill pan over high heat and grill the shrimp for 2-3 minutes on each side. Do not overcook. Set aside.
- Place all the diced vegetables in a big salad bowl, add the cooled pasta, grilled shrimp and basil pesto.
- Toss gentle to coat.
dominick cerrone says
Your recipe for the “pesto veggie pasta salad” lists a: 1/4 cup. Can you clarify what this is?
Catherine Katz says
Oh my Goodness, Dominick, good catch!! It’s 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil!!! I specified in the instructions but for some reason didn’t have it listed!!! Thank you so much! I fixed it right away!
wow this looks great
Catherine Katz says
Yay Crystal! Thank you! Can’t wait for you to try it and boast about it!!! Welcome to the table and Bon appétit!!