This dark chocolate torte tastes lusciously rich and moist yet it has all of 2 Tbsp of canola oil! The secret lies in the addition of the ground almonds with their healthy unsaturated oils as well as the applesauce and fat free plain yogurt. This is one dessert you will be able to “indulge” in without any guilt! It is a little more time consuming than my other desserts but it is well worth it! I love to dress it up with lots of fresh fruit and sprigs of fresh mint. It makes for a spectacular presentation, wouldn’t you say?
Orange Almond Torte
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- ¾ cup ground almonds or almond meal
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- ¾ cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup fat-free buttermilk
- ½ cup fat free yogurt
- 1 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 3 tbsp unsweetened apple sauce
- 2 Tbsp organic expeller pressed canola oil
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- zest of one orange
- 1/2 cup fresh orange juice
- 2 egg whites + 2 Tbsp water
- Preheat oven to 325. Lightly oil a 9-inch spring-form cake pan and place wax paper to fit at the bottom.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix together flour, ground almonds, white sugar, cocoa and baking powder.
- Add buttermilk, yogurt, brown sugar, egg yolk, oil, apple sauce, vanilla extract and orange zest.
- Beat with an electric mixer until smooth, but do not overbeat.
- Place orange juice in a microwavable cup and place in microwave until hot.
- Pour hot orange juice in batter and beat with electric mixer, scraping the bottom once with a spatula, until smooth.
- In a separate bowl, beat the 2 egg whites with 2 Tbsp water until soft peaks form and gently fold in chocolate orange mixture.
- Pour batter in prepared pan and bake for approximately 20-25 minutes or until toothpick comes out almost clean in center. You don’t want to overbake it!
- Let cool. Run a knife around the edge of the pan to loosen and remove the rim. With a large spatula, turn torte upside down onto a plate. Gently take off the pan lid and peel off the wax paper. Dust a little sifted confectioner sugar on top and decorate with fresh fruit and sprigs of fresh mint (optional).