My bulgur wheat walnut stuffing is SO good that you’ll want to eat it right out of the bowl, so just go for it! That’s exactly what my kids do! Now that they are all old enough, they make this old-time family favorite all the time in their own kitchens, without thinking twice about it. They just always have dry bulgur wheat on hand in their pantry (you only need 3/4 cup for this whole recipe, so a little goes a long way–here is a brand I like). It’s filled with nutrients: 100% wholegrain, veggies, walnuts and it can just be dinner, or a delicious side dish with your favorite meal. No fuss: It’s so quick and easy to make and it’s so yummy, satisfying and filling…and it does a mama’s heart a lot of good!
Bulgur Wheat Walnut Stuffing
- 1 small yellow or red onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 celery stock rinsed and diced
- 1 medium carrot well scrubbed and diced
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- ¾ cup dry bulgur wheat red or golden
- 2 cups water
- ½ cup coarsely ground walnuts
- 1/2 tsp salt
- fresh sage to taste or 1/2 tsp dry sage
- fresh thyme to taste or 1/4 tsp dry thyme
- fresh ground pepper
- Heat olive oil in large shallow pan over medium heat. Add garlic, onion, carrot and celery and sautee for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the dry bulgur wheat to the pan and continue to cook while stirring for a few seconds and add sage, thyme, salt and pepper.
- Add the water and cook until tender and all the liquid is absorbed (about 5-8 minutes).
- Remove from heat and stir in ground walnuts.