I absolutely love couscous! It is a staple of North African cooking, which of course brings back memories of my childhood. I use whole wheat couscous, rather than just plain couscous because it is higher in fiber and protein and it tastes just about the same. The “trick” with cooking couscous is to make sure that each grain is light and fluffy and not clumpy! This easy no-cook prep ensures that it’s just perfectly that! If you want to use couscous, cold, in a salad, here is another no-cook prep I recommend.
Basic Whole Wheat Couscous
- 3/4 cup whole wheat couscous dry
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup boiling water
- Place dry couscous and olive oil in a small bowl and stir with a fork to coat the grains.
- Pour boiling water over the oiled couscous and gently stir.
- Cover and let sit for 5 minutes.
- Fluff up the couscous with a fork before serving.