The combination of the sweet & sour apple cider vinaigrette, fresh grated apple and chopped hazelnuts (or other nuts) with the finely chopped kale is absolutely superb! I now use this salad as a foundation: by that, I mean that I like to “build on it” and make it more of a centerpiece all-in-one meal (how wonderful is that?!) so I can add some grains and legumes or beans to it for protein–French lentils or quinoa or farro blend beautifully in this salad–and of course more thinly sliced or grated veggies such as carrots, fennel, radishes… anything goes! You can use any type of fresh kale, you can’t go wrong!
Apple Hazelnut Kale Salad
- 1 bunch fresh kale rinsed & finely chopped
- 1 apple rinsed, skin on, coarsely grated
- 1/4 cup chopped hazelnuts or hempseeds
- 3 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 Tbsp 100% apple cider
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/8 tsp salt
- Mix all the dressing ingredients in a small bowl.
- Pour dressing over the remaining ingredients and gently stir.