Nothing like a rich-tasting risotto for comfort food! Of course this is no typical risotto because this one will also love you back, so double comfort here!! The sweetness of the butternut squash blends beautifully with the brown rice and the simmering white wine (listen in the little clip below to that wonderful sizzling sound as I pour the wine ….ahhhhhh!). Then, a touch of gruyère cheese finishes it up to perfection!
Butternut Sweet Brown Rice Risotto
- 1 small butternut squash peeled and sliced
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion peeled and finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 1/2 cup organic dry short brown rice
- 1 cup white wine
- 3 cups water
- 1/2 cup organic soy milk unsweetened
- 1/3 cup grated gruyère or Manchego cheese
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Lots of fresh ground black pepper
- fresh sage to taste
- Sautee the onion and garlic in olive oil in a large shallow pan for a few minutes until soft.
- Add the dry rice to the pan and stir with a wood spoon to coat with the olive oil well and continue to cook for a couple minutes.
- Add the sliced butternut squash and continue to sauté with the rice for 5 minutes.
- Turn down the heat a little and add the wine (it will sizzle--I love that sound!!), water and salt and simmer, covered for 15 minutes.
- Stir in the soy milk and continue to simmer uncovered for an additional 10-15 minutes, or until most of the liquid is absorbed (some of it left is good as it will blend with the melted cheese-yum!).
- Turn off the heat and add the cheese and ground pepper, stirring gently to blend and sprinkle with a little fresh sage.