Here is a variation on my rustic galette theme (sounds like I should have Bach playing in the background!). This one is with apples, fresh cranberries and a sprinkle of cinnamon! YUM! I also make it with fresh plums, apricots, peaches, you name it! Galettes are the crusty free-form versions of those more sophisticated tarts or pies. They are more rustic and “rough around the edges” so you can just eat a slice with your hands–no need for forks here! I just love them! The only problem for me is that the traditional ones are made with plain white flour and lots of butter. In fact, I had just resigned myself to the fact that if you wanted that perfect luscious combination of flaky crust and rich buttery taste –the way my idols Julia Child and Jacques Pépin have always made them–there was just no way around it. I imagine you know where I am going with this? Here is my version true to Cuisinicity nutritional standards AND it has passed my picky French culinary standards with flying colors! Enough said-I will let you judge for yourself!(Don’t forget the rule about measuring flour–click here!)
Rustic Apple Cranberry Galette
- 1 1/3 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/2 cup confectioner sugar
- 1/3 cup regular smart balance room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 cage-free egg yolks
- 1 Tbsp regular smart balance melted
- 1 Tbsp almond meal/flour
- 1 Tbsp confectioner sugar
- 1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 cage-free whole egg
- 1 large apple rinsed, cored and sliced into thin wedges (unpeeled)*
- 1/3 cup fresh cranberries rinsed
- 1 Tbsp granulated sugar
- Sprinkle of cinnamon about 1/4 tsp
- Preheat oven 400F
- Sift the flour and confectioner sugar and place into the bowl of a food processor ( you can also make it with your hands--see cuisinicity tip about how to measure flour
- Add the vanilla and smart balance and pulse 3 or 4 times for a 8-10 seconds each until crumbly.
- Add one egg yolk at a time, each time pulsing for a few seconds. Do not over beat! (see my tip above) until the dough just starts to come together.
- Gently take out the dough and form into a ball.
- Wrap in cellophane and set aside until ready to assemble (there is no need to refrigerate so best to make it right before you are ready to assemble).
- Place 1 Tbsp smart balance in a microwavable little bowl and very briefly cook in the microwave oven on high for 3 or 4 seconds.
- Add applesauce, confectioner sugar, almond meal and egg and stir well with a spoon until thoroughly mixed.
- Place the dough between two 10" ziploc gallon storage bags and using a rolling pin, gently roll into a circle about 10 inch in diameter--it doesn't have to be perfect.
- Peel off the top plastic bag layer, then turn dough over and transfer onto a light;y floured baking sheet. Peel off top plastic layer.
- Spread the filling evenly over the dough to within 1/2 inch of the edge.
- Arrange the apple wedges on top side by side in one layer, like a pinwheel to make a beautiful display, add the fresh cranberries, one by one in between some of the apples (see the photo).
- Fold the edge of the dough up over the plums to create a 1-inch border.
- Sprinkle the granulated sugar on top of the apples, cranberries and folded edge.
- Sprinkle with a little cinnamon.
- Bake in preheated oven for 25 minutes or until the apples are tender and the crust is golden.