This is a succulent little gem of a cake that is gluten-free. The combination of quinoa and almond meal gives it a melt-in-your-mouth sweetness that is so delicate and just delightful! Its nutritional value is superb….as expected!
Almond Quinoa Cake
- 2 cups cooked quinoa 1 cup dry
- 1/3 cup smart balance
- 3 cage free organic eggs
- 2/3 cup almond meal
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- To make 2 cups cooked quinoa:
- Place 1 1/4 water in a small saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Add 1 cup dry quinoa, stir once and cook for 5 minutes, uncovered.
- Turn off the stove and cover for a few minutes (you can make it ahead of time and refrigerate it if you'd like or just let it cool for 15 minutes before proceeding to next step).
- To make the cake:
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Line the bottom of an 8” springform pan with wax paper to fit (see photo below) and "grease" it with a little smart balance or canola oil.
- Place cooked quinoa in the bowl of a food processor. Process until creamy and smooth.
- Add the remaining ingredients and process again to blend until smooth and creamy, scraping the sides to make sure everything is all blended in.
- Pour the batter in the prepared pan and bake for 20-25 minutes.
- Unmold by unfastening the springform pan first, then place your serving platter over the top of the cake and turn over.
- Gently peel off the wax paper and dust with confectioner sugar.
- I like to serve it with fresh berries.
For this cake, I use a non-stick 8″ springform pan that I line with pre-made-to-fit wax paper liners that I buy in bulk or you can cut it to fit yourself.