This is my son Gabe’s favorite Oatmeal every school day for breakfast! He is my growing boy–I swear he looks like he is growing an inch each day– and I feel good having his belly full with all that good fiber and protein to tackle the day. I make this simple oatmeal from scratch every morning, using plain rolled oats, before he goes to school in the morning and it literally takes 4 minutes. There is no need to spend money on store-bought-flavored-instant oatmeal packets–even the organic natural brands that I love for their other products always add salt (except for one!*), which is absolutely unnecessary and don’t end up really saving time. This is that quick and simple!
**addendum: I just found ONE wonderful product that doesn’t use any salt or sugar–that is so yummy and is filled with fiber! It goes to show, you don’t need it! If you like it a little sweeter, just add your own drizzle of honey or brown sugar, that’s it!
- 1 cup water
- ⅔ cup rolled oats (not the quick-cooking ones)
- 1 Tbsp dark brown sugar (optional)
- fine ground walnuts
- dusting of cinnamon
- any sliced fresh or dried fruit (unsweetened)
- Bring water to a quick boil
- Add the rolled oats and let it boil uncovered for 1 minute (it will "foam", so lower the heat a little bit or just make sure it doesn't boil over).
- Turn off the stove and cover for 3 minutes or until ready to serve.
- Transfer to a bowl and sprinkle the brown sugar (if using), walnuts and cinnamon and top with any fresh sliced fruit and/or unsweetened dried fruit.
Gabe and his sisters, Valerie (Left of photo) and Natalia (right of photo) during the filming of our next “UNJUNK YOURSELF” VIDEO