This is a complete meal in one dish, filled with plant-based protein! The combination of carrots and curry is sweet and tangy and the carrot juice gives it a slight creaminess! Yum! It’s superb right off the stove but I also love to make it ahead and have it ready to go in the fridge for a cold lunch over mixed greens.
I have a cooking class video here!
- 3 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, peeled, coarsely chopped
- 2 tsp mild curry powder
- 4-5 medium carrots, rinsed and sliced (about 3 cups)
- 1½ cups raw French lentils
- ½ cup raw quinoa
- 2 cups organic 100% carrot juice
- 1 cup water
- ½ tsp salt
- Sauté chopped onion in olive oil, let it sizzle for a few seconds and stir in the curry powder.
- Add the sliced carrots, stir and cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- Add the lentils and quinoa to the pan and stir with a wooden spoon to coat well with the olive oil for another couple minutes.
- Pour carrot juice, water and salt into the pan and continue to cook covered for about 20 minutes (so that the liquid is mostly soaked up and the lentils and quinoa are just tender--you may have to add a little water depending on the type of lentils you use).
- Turn off the heat and keep covered for another 10 minutes.
- Drizzle with a few drops of olive oil when ready to serve. You can serve hot or cold for lunch.
On this particular occasion, I added roasted turnips to it and it was fantastic!