Another classic to put all your apples to use! This is another easy fool-proof recipe that is a little more time-consuming than my Peach Almond Cobbler. That’s because the apples have to cook first in their own juices before baking, so that they are perfectly moist. This makes them so sweet and flavorful. In fact, there is no added sugar to the filling– the simmered apples are plenty sweet on their own! I have added ground almonds not only to add nutritional value but also to make it almost “buttery” tasting, and of course, the rolled oats and soft wheat add fiber to boot. The result: A definite harvest apple picking winner!
P.S. Watch my cooking class video on how to make this recipe!
- APPLE FILLING
- 6-7 medium apples, rinsed, unpeeled
- 2 Tbsp water
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 3 whole cloves
- 1 Tbsp whole wheat pastry flour
- COBBLER TOPPING
- ½ cup ground almond meal*
- ½ cup whole wheat pastry flour
- ½ cup rolled oats
- 3 Tbsp brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp regular smart balance, room temperature
- 1 Tbsp lowfat kefir
- *(you can also grind whole dry roasted unsalted almonds instead).
- Preheat oven to 375
- Cut the apples with an apple corer/divider.
- Place the sliced apples, water and cloves in a medium sauce pan (just big enough so that the apples are "snuggled" together to keep their moisture), sprinkle with cinnamon and simmer covered, for 12-15 minutes. Do NOT stir! Turn off the heat and put aside until ready to assemble.
- Gently mix all APPLE FILLING ingredients in a bowl and place in a 9 inch pie dish.
- Mix all dry ingredients (almond meal, whole wheat pastry flour, rolled oats and sugar) in a bowl.
- Add smart balance and kefir to the dry mixture and work with your fingers to make into a crumbly mixture.
- Sprinkle evenly over filling.
- Bake in oven for 15-18 minutes, until the top is golden and the juices are sizzling.
No question this is one-take-only raw footage! I fumble with the very first words out of my mouth: “Ahmpen Almond cobbler”….say what?! I keep going anyway; I am not even phased when I bonk my head on the pretty scale hanging from the ceiling, you know that was coming…I think my idol Julia Child would be so proud!